There are several people who use protein pills or supplements, typically in powder form or pills for their health benefits. When you take protein powder, you can add it to water, juice, and shakes.
Protein powder can help weight muscle mass and recovery, but some people want an alternative. Protein pills are one such alternative.
The benefits of protein pills include portability, convenience, and fewer calories. Below, we discuss what to know about protein in pill or capsule form.
What Are Protein Pills?
A protein tablet is a dietary supplement. They’re available online and in traditional retailers. There are different versions of pills available.
The common ingredients are collagen, bone broth, whey, and soy. Sometimes pills will contain pea powder, casein, or beef protein.
In general, protein plays an important role in building muscle, repairing tissue, and making hormones regardless of how it’s taken.
Key things to know about protein pills include:
- They’re an easy way to increase your intake
- There’s no smell or taste
- Most of these supplements are collagen, bone broth, or amino acids
What do protein pills do?
Types of Protein Pills
- Bone broth capsules: Capsules with bone broth powder can help increase your protein, and it tends to be easily absorbed and ultimately used by the body. Taking bone broth powder can promote gut and digestive health and protect against the effects of aging. Many types of bone broth capsules have around three grams of protein.
- Peptides: Peptides are an amino acid supplement that is alive and bioactive, so your body can easily digest and use them. You can use raw, bioactive peptides to replace isolate or a whey protein concentrate. Peptide pure protein capsules can help with endurance, muscle tone and growth, and energy.
- Aminos: Tablets with amino acids often include popular BCAAs. In some cases, amino acid tablets are pre-digested, so they take just a few minutes to absorb into the bloodstream. They’re also low-calorie but can still help with building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
- Marine collagen: One of the most easily absorbed and used types of protein, marine collagen comes from fish. These tablets can support the health of the joints, hair, skin, nails, and bones. They often help with pain relief, and some people use marine collagen to feel fuller for longer and reduce their appetite.
Pills vs. Powder
Many people who supplement with protein take the powder, but pills have some distinct advantages.
Benefits of taking protein pills rather than a powder include:
- You may experience fewer digestive symptoms when you take pills instead of powder. A lot of people have bloating and similar symptoms when they use protein powders.
- Taking a protein pill can also reduce nausea, another somewhat common side effect of protein powder.
- Convenience is one of the primary reasons you might opt for a pill version. With a protein powder, you often have to carry big tubs with you and then mix it up on the go.
- If your goal is to use protein to gain weight, pills have very few calories, while powders and other protein supplements tend to be high in calories.
- You may not like the taste of powder, making pills an attractive alternative.
The biggest downside when comparing pills and powder is that first, you’re going to get a lot less protein overall. Pills usually only have around two grams of protein per serving. With powders, they often have 20 grams or more of protein.
Also, if you’re using protein as a meal replacement, the pills won’t work for that. They might reduce your appetite somewhat, but it’s not the same as using powders.
Are protein pills Effective?
Of course, protein pills are very effective as they provide several health benefits to users, especially for those suffering from protein deficiency and unregulated muscle contractions.
They are effective because protein tablets help in building body muscles, boosting bone health, reducing joint pain, and also promotes skin health. Although one needs to consult the doctor before using any pills in case you are on another medication for your safety.
One needs to simply take a pill every time you eat a meal. It is important to try and take them with each meal, as this will work to ensure that you are receiving the maximum amount of nutrients without also ingesting excess calories or fat along with your food.
Do protein pills make you gain weight?
Do protein pills build muscle?
Do protein pills help you lose weight?
Are there any side effects of protein pills?
According to Ioannis Delimaris, there are no long-term side effects associated with the use of protein supplements be it pills, powder, or tablets due to their safe ingredients. However, taking too many protein pills or supplements can lead to some mild digestive problems.
This is easily avoidable by spacing out the number of times you take pills throughout your day and by ensuring that you remain hydrated at all times.
There are overall a lot of benefits of protein pills. Some of these depend on the type you use. For example, using a collagen protein pill can stimulate hair and nail growth and help with gut health. Some people also feel collagen pills help reduce anxiety and improve their moods, and they may promote faster weight loss.
With a bone broth protein pill, you get iron, fatty acids, and important vitamins and minerals. Bone broth protein pills can reduce inflammation and help strengthen joints and reduce pain.
Protein pills are good for you overall, particularly depending on whether or not you have certain goals.