Many beginners ask this simple question, what to do on the first day at the gym? or What to do first at gym workout?
Actually, those are very important questions that a fitness beginner needs to know.
The goodness is that this article provides you with the best procedures on what to do on your first day at the gym workout to avoid injuries.
In fact, it helps prevent several chronic diseases like cancer, high blood pressure and many more.
What to do before the gym workout
Before you go to the gym, you need to prepare for the gym workouts, therefore, you need to stay hydrated and eat complex carbohydrates 45 minutes before going to the gym.
This is very important as it will boost your energy level and improve your workout performance.
It will also improve your mental focus in the gym as work out.
Importantly, you need a realistic workout routine that will enable you to achieve your primary goals faster.
What Items to carry while going to the gym?
Carry gym bag to put your items such as gym shoes, clothes, water bottle, and deodorant.
You need a towel to wipe off your sweat after you’re done with an exercise.
In addition, you can lay it down on the bench or machines you use to avoid in touch with other people’s sweat.
You need a water bottle, being that you may get thirsty after the workout.
Furthermore, many people listen to music while working out and this keeps them motivated.
You can purchase a headphone, maybe wireless is possible.
In addition, come with a tracker to record your progress, you may download a tracking app on your phone.
First thing first at the gym to keep in mind
You need to keep in mind the following tips
- Do not rush for a heavyweight, please! Please! Just start by the simplest workout as you gear to your expectations.
- You need a personal trainer or a friend who is a senior gym-goer to guide you as you train if possible
- Stay motivated and focus as you train
- Do a comprehensive workout that is described in this article
- Listen to your body by allowing your body muscles to recovery at least 60 seconds between sets(resting time)
- Monitor your progress, have your tracking device if possible
What to do on the first day at the gym?
Here are step-by-step procedures on where you need to start from immediately you sign up in the gym for work out.
As mentioned earlier, do not rush the workout. Therefore start slowly.
Start with Warm-ups
Warm-ups help in preventing injuries during exercise and enables the body to feel relaxed and to adapt to new changes.
You need to get your blood flowing and muscles warm so they don’t tear too much when you train them.
Warm-ups are very crucial especially before a workout and after a workout.
Now here are the steps by step on what to do on your first day at the gym.
You can as well check what to do before exercise.
1. Running on Treadmill
For a beginner, this is where you need to start from after warm-ups on your first day at the gym workout.
Start with aerobic exercise treadmill/running.
Running or walking on a treadmill isn’t exactly like running outside.
After all, the belt keeps you on pace even when your energy fades.
How to perform your treadmill running on your first day at the gym
- Time the treadmill, you can ask gym instructor to time it for you.
- Be sure to run at a pace you can comfortably sustain
- Therefore, for this case, you will perform one set within 5 minutes to 10 minutes (1 set, 5-10 minutes)
- As you tire, lower your speed or incline to switch it up throughout your session.
If you can’t keep up with the treadmill without grabbing the handrails, you’re going too fast. Holding onto the handrails can throw off your stride and create a twisting motion, which can lead to injuries. On your first-day treadmill run, start with 10 minutes, and add five minutes next week. Continue to build gradually, increasing your total weekly mileage by no more than 10 percent each week.
Do Leg Press on your first day at the gym
The second workout to do on your first day at the gym after a treadmill.
perform leg press.
It will help you gain stability and relaxation of the muscles and bone after the aerobic.
How to perform leg press on your first day in gym workout
- Get right on the machine as shown and push the platform away with your heels and forefoot, while your heels flat on the footplate.
- Now exhale and extend your legs and keep your head and back flat against the seat pad
- Pause at the top of the movement and do not lock out your knees and ensure that they are not bowing out or in.
- Under control, return the footplate to the starting position as you bend the knees and ensure the feet and back are flat throughout
- You should do this leg press for only two set to failure (1 set, to failure for each set).
You need to be careful to prevent injuries. That is never use heavy weight, exhale and inhale, do not lock out your knees and ensure that they are not bowing out or in. Also, ensure the feet and back are flat throughout. two set is enough for the day, you may increase the sets for next time.
Lying Leg Curls
Before the next step, you can take a break for 30 seconds to 90 seconds.
Start lying leg curls for another set.
Actually, the lying leg curl is a popular machine-based exercise for the legs, particularly the hamstrings.
This set is also for one to two set only but do it to failure (1 set, to failure for each sets).
I mean to failure, I hope I am clear.
How to perform lying leg curls on the first day
- Start by lying flat on as shown
- You need to adjust the roller pad so that it rests comfortably a few inches under your calves, just above the heels
- Now stretch your legs out fully as you inhale
- Lift your feet gradually as you exhale, keeping your hips firmly on the bench
- Inhale as you flex your knees and pull your ankles as close to your buttocks as you can.
- Pause at this position for 2 seconds and under control, return to the starting point as you inhale
- perform 1 to 2 set only but do it to failure
Use the right weight to avoid injuries, you can also avoid this workout if you have injuries or instability in your knee or recently had knee surgery, hip surgery, back, spine, or neck.
Wide-Grip Lat Pull-down
Yes, after that serious step, your next workout is to perform wide grip lat pull-down.
Don’t be scared, this is a simple workout to do on your first day at the gym.
In fact, Lat pull-down is a cable-based exercise machine that is easy to learn and effective, allowing for variable resistance depending on where you place the pin in the stack.
You just need to pull down the grid lat, very simple indeed.
How to perform wide-grip lat pull down on your first day
- Choose your weight and sit on the lat pull-down machine, adjusting it so that your thighs fit under the supports as shown.
- Grasp the bar with your hands wider than shoulder-width
- Now exhale and slowly pull the bar down until it touches the upper part of your chest and pause at this position for 2 seconds
- Under control, return the bar to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 sets but to failure
Keep your torso still and do not pull the bar down behind your neck to avoid injuries
Hello, are we still together? Another workout to perform on your first day at the gym is a butterfly swing.
How to perform butterfly swing
- Sit on the butterfly machine with your front-facing away from it and your back flat up against the padding
- Contract your chest muscles to push the handles toward each other as you exhale
- When the handles are together, hold for one second.
- Then, under control return to your starting position as you inhale.
- Just for 1 to 2 sets but to failure (1-2 sets, to failure).
Another set is triceps with pushdown, this is very enjoyable on your first day at the gym.
You need to relax your body and push down your hands.
This will create some triceps muscle movement.
Just do it for another 1 to 2 sets. (One set, to failure).
Don’t allow your elbows to flare outward on the downward push. Be cautious with this exercise if you have an elbow injury or if you develop persistent elbow soreness and if recovering from surgery, illness, or injury.
Machine Bicep Curl
Just one to two sets is enough for this type of exercise on your first day at the gym.
How to perform it
- Press your arms against the pads and keep them stationary throughout the exercise.
- Curls your forearms until your arms are fully flexed and squeeze your bicep, isolating the muscle.
- Pause, then under control, lower your arms back to the starting position.
- Perform 1 to 2 sets, each to failure.
8.Machine Shoulder (Military) Press
Buddies call it the military press but are very enjoyable on the first day at the gym.
Just use lightweight and position yourself before the machine.
Press the machine towards your shoulder girth, under control return to the initial position.
Perform another one set to failure. (1 set to failure)
9.Abs crunch machine
On your first day at the gym do Abs exercise.
Abs workout helps in core stabilization and assists in breathing, allow movement of other body parts, and protect your internal organs.
Abs workout also helps in postural support and balance.
For that reason, perform another one abs exercise just one set but to failure (1 set, to failure).
Do Air bike
What to do lastly at the gym on your first day is to perform air bike exercise.
recommend that you do it just for one set, to failure and call it a day.
Go home have, a nice balanced diet, enjoy your sleep
NOTE: These steps should be done procedurally if possible.
Do not jump from one-step if you have not completed a given step.
Guidelines for This Workout
The program above is for general health and fitness to attain better healthy life.
Specifically, to first gym beginners’ and for an adult individual who has never lifted weights before, or who is very inexperienced at it.
Take advantage of the procedures.
In the steps given, you will realize that most of the exercise are machine-based.
Currently, there are machines that hasten training and a large number of people can easily perform them.
This is the best exercise as an unconditioned beginner, has less integrity in the joints, muscles, and bones.
Furthermore, still there is minimum stability in the core, which supports the entire body during training.
This makes one more apt to be injured when attempting to lift free weight such as dumbbells, barbells, lifting heavy weight, deadlift, and so on.
As you begin the journey.
Generally, machines make work easier.
Like in this circumstance, the machine provides support for these weaker areas.
It also allows the intended muscle to be isolated and strengthened before progressing to free weight.