You may be recommended by your local doctor or physician to seek proper medical checkup at Aga Khan Hospital, Nairobi or any other best private hospital in Nairobi, well, there are some tips to keep in mind when visiting hospitals in Nairobi.
These tips will enable you to have an effective and efficient visit and treatment without any difficulties.
Actually, many people forget to accompany the legit requirements while paying their visit to hospitals in Nairobi.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when visiting hospitals in Nairobi
It may be your first-time visit to Nairobi, maybe for the purpose of the medication.
However, it is good to know that Nairobi is one of the most congested cities in Kenya, with high traffic volume. You may find it challenging to make your way within the city.
Therefore, here are what to keep in mind while visiting hospitals in Nairobi if you are from rural.
- Do thorough research before visiting the hospital
- Book your appointment with your doctor
- Find out what documents you need to get from your doctor in Nairobi to submit as part of a complete travel
- Know that the city has high traffic volume, therefore, you need to arrive early
- You need to have enough money for your expenses
- Have health insurance cover (NHIF)
- Have a valid National ID or Visa
- Be sure of your accommodation and how long you will stay in Nairobi
- Figure out your means of transport, you can use Uber, taxi if you arrive in the city. The Uber and taxi are not expensive and enables you to arrive at the hospital of your choice within Nairobi.
- Ensure you stay secured and not walking up and down along the streets
What to keep in mind if you’re a foreigner visiting hospitals in Nairobi
- It’s best to seek out a hospital that has been certified by the Joint Commission International, as this is a verification of hospitals’ standards of quality.
- Be sure to bring your passport with you, as the hospital will ask to see it.
- If your prescription calls for common medications, consider checking the local pharmacy as they are often cheaper than the hospital pharmacy and offer many of the same medications.
- You can read reviews of the hospital and the doctors online. Just do a Google Search and you’ll end up with some Trip Advisor results describing the experience.
- If you get sick or injured while travelling, check your travel insurance documents carefully to find out what you are covered for and what your deductible is.
- Also, find out what documents you need to get from your doctor in Nairobi to submit as part of a complete travel or health insurance claim(2).
- Depending on your health insurance, sometimes if you are an expat living elsewhere in Asia your insurance company will consider covering your treatment and flight.
- Let go of your idea that hospitals are uncomfortable places with fluorescent lights and bad smells. The private hospitals in Nairobi have stylish decor and they are as comfortable as a hotel. They will often have a choice of restaurants and very cozy waiting rooms, making them a better experience for patients as well as loved ones visiting.
- If English is not your native language, many hospitals in Nairobi that cater to international patients offer translation services.
How to book an appointment with the doctor in Nairobi
There are many doctors in Kenya, especially, in Nairobi. However, the cost and delivery of the best medical checkup or treatment vary.
Therefore, before you can book an appointment in any hospital or doctor, you need to do the following:
- Do a thorough search on hospital and doctors’ qualifications to let you choose the best doctor and hospital and to avoid fraud.
- Read verified patient reviews. It is vital to read some reviews on patients that got an appointment with the doctor you intend to visit in Nairobi.
- Compare prices, the cost of treatment or medical checkups varies depending on the quality of treatment and other factors.
- Now you can get a free quote or book an appointment with the doctor or hospital that best suits your desire.
Note, do not rash for an appointment; you need to ensure that everything is well taken care of. Be vigilant and avoid being con.
List of hospitals in Nairobi to Visit for Medical Checkups
Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi
Contact information For Agha Khan Nairobi
Contact: 020 366 2025 or +254(0)203662000
Address: 3rd Parkland Avenue, Nairobi
Avenue Hospital Nairobi
You can have a direct call through their phone number 0732 175000.
Email: [email protected]
The Nairobi Hospital
For more information, contact The Nairobi Hospital through
Phone number +254 703082000.
You can send an email message via [email protected].
Address: Muranga Road in Nairobi.
The Karen Hospital
You can contact them through telephone line 0702222222 or +254206613000.
Email: [email protected].
Words of Wisdom
You need to keep in mind the above tips anytime you want to pay a visit to any health facility outside your locality.
Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions at all stages of your medical treatment: before, during, and after.
Be sure to clarify exactly what treatment you will be receiving, how much it’ll cost, what it entails, and what the follow up will be
In addition, if you are seeking plastic or cosmetic surgery, be sure what medical procedure you will need and how long your recovery time will be.
Finally, almost all hospitals in Nairobi that treat foreigners will have English-speaking staff who will answer all of your questions and give you the information you need.