The backs workout is very important to everyone not only bodybuilders.
It helps in strengthening the spines, neck and core strength for physical activities.
Well-build back also prevents injuries and improves posture.
This article presents some of the most effective back exercises for better health.
Types of back workouts to do for a bigger muscles
1 . weighted pull-up For V-shape back
This type of backs workout routine is one of the simplest back exercises(1). You dont need to go to the gym, you can perform it at home. If you have stable stands that can support your weight.
For senior gym-goers, you can tie some weights on the waist, not too heavy
How to perform pull up
- Stand under the chin-up bar with arms overhead and palms facing away from him.
- Now reach or jump to grasp the bar firmly with a full grip position (thumbs wrapped around the handles)
- Ensure that the wrists are in a straight line with the forearms (neutral)
- Then pull your shoulders back and down, bending your elbows to pull your body upward keeping the elbows down toward his sides
- Pull until the chin is at the level with the bar
- To finish, return in a slow and controlled manner to the starting position by allowing the elbows to fully straighten
- Now pull yourself up as shown below. Repeat it 10 times 5 reps
Landmine One-Arm Row
Another backs workout routine is the landmine one arm row workout.
It strengthens your back muscles and shoulder. Landmine one-arm row also helps you build arm muscles(3).
How to perform landmine one -arm row
- Here we go, in the gym, load enough weight on one side of the barbell
- Then, attach one end of the barbell with no weight into a corner
- Now face away from the corner holding the barbell at the opposite end
- Ensure that the side attached to the corner is well stable and to stand stable
- Ensure the lower back is flat and bend at the hips
- Under control, pull the weight beneath the ribs and lower it to the starting point
- Repeat it 10 times 5 reps
3 Lying Lateral Raise Or I-Y-T
A very powerful back workout routine is the lying lateral raise. It enables you to build a Y shaped back muscles. This workout is all you need for your back muscles.
How to perform lying lateral raise
- You need to start by lying your stomach on a bench and extend the arms straight down toward the ground, with the palms facing inward
- Hold two dumbbells, one in each hand
- To form the letter “I” (arms straight overhead), you need to lift your arms toward the ceiling and then slowly lower them back toward the ground
- The subject then formed the letter “Y” (arms at a 45-degree angle), lifting the thumbs toward the ceiling as shown below
- Now lift and squeeze the shoulder blades together in the back and slowly lower the arms back to the starting position
- Back to the starting point, you will form the letter “T” (arms at a 90-degree angle) by turning the palms toward the floor, and again lift the arms out to the side by squeezing the shoulder blades together to the starting point.
- Perform 5 sets, 10 reps, and rest 30-90 seconds between sets(4)
Bentover Reverse Flye
A comprehensive workout is all you need for bigger back muscles(5). Performing bent over reverse fly will make you achieve your dream goals more effective. It enables to perform endurance muscular workout for your back muscles.
How to perform bent-over reverse flye
- Hold two dumbbells on one per hand
- Bend with your legs apart for stability as shown below
- Raise your arms out as shown below, and squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top
- Ensure your palm faces down and repeat it 10 times 5 reps
Barbell Back Squat
How to perform barbell back squats
- With the well-set squat rack, hold the barbell with your legs well-rooted apart for stability
- Place it on your lower traps, and squeeze your shoulder blades together as shown below
- Take a step and stand with your feet at shoulder width and your toes turned slightly out
- Inhale and squat
- Push your knees out as you raise up with the barbell
- For effective backs workout, repeat it 6 times and 4 sets with 60-90 seconds rest between sets(8)
Deadlift For V-shape Back
How to perform deadlift workout
- With the deadlift, back workout begins by standing still with feet apart and make sure you are stable
- Hold the barbell having enough weight
- Now with a reverse grip, just slightly bend the knees
- Your chest should up as you look straight ahead
- Ensure your back is flat, then extend your hips to stand up, pulling the bar up along your legs to lockout
- Perform 4 sets, 6 -10 repetitions with 60-90 seconds rest between sets(10,11)
The machine always makes work easier.
Hack squat is a very simple but effective workout for your back, legs and shoulder. Research shows that hack squat can boost your back muscle endurance for a stronger back(12).
How to perform hack squats
- Lay your backs on the machine
- Hold the handle with your shoulder locked on the machine rubber band
- Now unlock the safeties and lower your knees toward your chest as possible
- Press the weight upward to the starting point
- Perform 4 sets, 10 reps with 30-60 seconds rest between the sets
Note: Be careful neither to go too low nor you risk your lower back coming off the seat, this can cause injury.
Yates Row For back workout
This back exercise involves the motion of the barbell beneath the stomach.
It helps strengthen your back muscles and target the lower back muscles. You need to perform this workout to get the perfect V-shape back muscles.
How to perform Yate row
- Hold the barbell and keep your lower back in its natural arch
- bend your hips back and lower your torso as shown below
- Pull the barbell beneath your stomach under control
- Return to the starting point
- Perform 4 sets, 10 reps with 30-60 seconds rest between the sets
Dumbbell Single Arm Row
How to perform it
Rest your right knee on the bench and step your other leg out to the side.
Hold the dumbbell off the floor and move it up to your side until your upper arm is parallel with the floor.
Under control, lower back. Repeat it 10 times and 4 sets(13).
10. Lat Pull-Downs
Lat pull-down is one of the best back workout for both beginners and senior gym-goers. It targets most of your back muscles. Most bodybuilders perform this type of back workout as cited in most studies(14,15).
How to perform lat pull-down
- Sat in the machine with your thighs under the pads
- Now grasp the bar with the hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, palms facing forward and thumbs wrapped around the bar
- With the elbows straight overhead, pull your shoulder blades down and back as shown below
- Then lean back slightly and pull the bar down to the top of your chest and paused
- To finish, slowly straightened the elbows and returned the bar to the starting position
- Perform it 4 sets, 10 reps with 30-90 rest between sets(16)
11 Inverted Row for back workout
It is another back workout routine that can make you get bigger back muscles faster. In fact, an inverted row is shown to strengthen your back muscles and make your build V-shape back muscles(17).
How to perform inverted row
- Position yourself with heels out in front of you and arms fully extended
- Ensure that you are a wider-than-shoulder-width grip on a bar positioned on a rack at about waist height
- Hung underneath the bar with your body straight, heels on the floor and arms fully extended
- Then flex your elbows, pulling the chest toward the bar with the shoulder blades retracted
- Pause at the top of the motion and then slowly extended the elbows and returned to starting position
- Perform it 4 sets, 10 reps with 30-90 rest between sets.
12 Dumbbell Single Arm Row
Getting V-shaped back is very important for a bodybuilder who wants to compete for Mr. Olympia or any contest. In fact, a well defined back muscles are aesthetically pleasing(18). The good news is that the dumbbell single-arm row can make you achieve it.
How to perform dumbbell single-arm row
- Right in front of a flat bench
- Place your left hand against it under your shoulder, and ensure your arm is straight
- Rest your left knee on the bench and step your right leg out to the side as shown below
- With your free hand grab a dumbbell off the floor and row it up to your side until your upper arm is parallel with the floor
- Under control, lower the weight back to the floor and repeat it 10 times, 4 sets
13 Kettlebell Swings
Studies show that using kettlebells is perfect way to perform back workouts and other muscle workouts(19,20). Just like dumbbells, kettlebells are more effective to use.
You can swing them in different directions very easily. Kai Greene uses this kettlebell to get full back muscle momentum for a perfect back. Try it and get the wider muscles.
How to perform kettlebell swig for back muscles
- With your kettlebell, stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart for stability and in the proper position
- Grab the handle with both hands
- Ensure your back is flat and engage your lats to pull the weight between your legs, and then move the hips forward as you pull the kettlebell up to shoulder height
- Return to the start position and repeat without resting for 10 time and 4 sets
Note: Be careful with how deep you swing
Seated Cable Row
Another effective back workout is through the use of cable or pulley on a smith machine. This workout will enable you perform resistance training for bigger back muscles(23).
How to perform seated cable row
- Seated cable row for backs workout is easy.
- In this case, sit on the bench with your feet against the footplate and knees slightly bent
- Ensure you attach a straight barbell to the pulley of a seated row station
- Now maintain your lower back flat, grasp the barbell, and row it to your sternum, squeezing your shoulder blades together in the end
- Perform it 3 sets, 10 reps for a better muscle gain. This back workout is very vital
15 Back Workout Extensions
For your lower back muscles, performing back extensions exercise is very important. It helps in core strengthening, balancing, and boost your cardiovascular system. It also helps in belly fat burn.
- Here you lock your legs into a back extension bench for stability as shown below.
- Now allow your torso to bend forward, to enable your hips to form 90 degrees.
- You can extend your hips so that your body forms a straight line.
- Always ensure you are stable before you begin.
- Perform it 3 sets and 10 reps.
16 Wide-Grip Pull-ups on machine
To gain nice back muscle, with wide grip pull-ups back workout, you can use the wide grip pull up.
It is very effective as it targets both back muscles, shoulder, and chest muscles. wide grip pull-ups back workout is all you need to perform for bigger muscles(24).
How to perform wide grip pull-ups back workout
- Here use pull up a barbell with an overhand grip, wider than outside shoulder width.
- Now hang from the barbell and pull the body up as shown below.
- Under control, return to the initial position.
- Perform it 4 sets 10 reps to effectively achieve it.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
For a big back, you can achieve it by Romanian deadlift (25).
- Get your barbells loaded with enough weight and hold them with feet set hip-width apart.
- Ensure your lower backs in its natural arch, slightly bend the torso forward, and slowly lower yourself until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement after coming back up.
- Repeat the motion 8 times and 3 sets.